2017-6 June15th

Minutes of the Deer Creek Homeowners Association of Livonia

Board of Directors

Held at Diane Tsaprazis’s house

June 15, 2017

                                                            Approved August 10, 2017

 

Present:  Denny Behrendsen, Bob Moore, Bob Ellis, Tenley Jackson, Walt Gerstner, Marsha McLean, Terry Millis and Diane Tsaprazis (8).

 

Minutes:  We reviewed the minutes from our Annual Meeting held 4-20-17 and made a couple changes; they will remain a draft until they are approved at the 2018 Annual Meeting.  We also reviewed the minutes from our 4-5-17 Board meeting and approved them with no changes. 

 

Treasurer’s Report:  Terry distributed copies of the April and May Citizen’s Bank statements.  The 4-30-17 statement reported a balance of $19,092.57 after 4 checks cleared, while the 5-31-17 statement reported a $21,446.04 balance after 1 check cleared.  For those two months, a total of 47 homes paid dues.  About 150 homes have paid dues this year.  Bob E. submitted bills to be paid for irrigation parts and the backflow certification done by Jensen.  Repairs are needed to 2 valves in order for them to be certified.  Denny submitted a $599.21 invoice due John Spry for the electrical work to repair the damage done by the contractor at 8 Mile, consisting of $450 for labor and the parts including a new labeled box in the ground, 2 new photocells and a box extension.  Denny is also due $24 for parts.  Metro Grounds is due $80 presently.  We accepted the reports.  The homeowner that sent a dues check from an account that doesn’t exist per our Bank and charged us a $20 fee has not responded to our phone call; we will follow up. 

 

Landscaping:  Marsha distributed a $8,678.25 quote from Saxton’s landscaping to completely refurbish the two 8 Mile sign areas.  Saxton’s recently planted the annuals on the 8 Mile island; Marsha requested that we have them do this every year although we do not know the cost and we assume the cost for this year is included in the recent quote.  We discussed the plan in detail.  Some plants to be removed may be available to homeowners, including coral bells and spirea.  Some ornamental grasses will be moved from the west side to the east to balance the design.  Bob E. is concerned about the proposed white pine because others in the area have not fared well. 

-        Electrical:  Denny reported that Miss Dig only looks for public utilities, so there may be an added cost to have them mark private electrical work.  Denny also said there is 1 GFI problem that our electrician can fix. Denny also asked us to keep an eye out for the 3 lights that are supposed to light the center island trees, and call him if they are out. 

-        Gill Entrance:  Thank you to Walt and Ginny Gerstner who trimmed the shrubs. Dave Wood and Denny leveled the pavers on the north side; the south side needs a bit of leveling too.  We still have $2,000 budgeted for the light upgrades. 

-        Budget:  Our 2017 budget provides only $6,000 for the 8 Mile project.  We could utilize about $1,000 from our 8 Mile contingency repair fund because the repairs will not need the full approved amount, and we could use $2,000 that was budgeted for Gill entrance landscaping.  Thus, we would have $9,000 available.

-        Irrigation:  We may go over the $825 budgeted for island repairs & testing.

-        Gill Entrance:  We are limited by what we can do with landscaping because there is no water sprinkler system.  Marsha proposed that next year we make an offer to the homeowners on each side if they will plant and water the back side of the sign areas. 

-        The plan was approved unanimously.

 

Homes with Poor Maintenance: 

-        Just prior to this meeting, Denny and Bob M. visited a home on Bretton regarding a fence around a pool that is falling down.  The homeowner will fix it. 

-        A letter will be sent from the Board to a home on Ellen with excessive weeds.

-        Another home on Ellen was improved last week.

 

Review of Financials:  Diane found an accountant willing to review our records.  We will create a list of what is needed and schedule a day and time.

 

Dog Run:  A couple of months ago when a homeowner requested a fence, Denny explained our deed restrictions.  The homeowner then planned a dog run and sent us a picture, but it was too close to the lot lines.  The owner does have a dog and two young boys.  We appreciate that the homeowner is trying to work with us to find an amicable solution.  Some Board members stated that the owner should have been made aware of the deed restrictions from the realtors when they purchased the home.  The homeowner is requesting a 3-foot-tall “no dig” fence.  We agreed to the dog run, installed off the lot line by at least the width of a lawn mower, and request that they please plant shrubs to make it more aesthetically pleasing. 

 

Water on Islands:  Bob E. reported that 4 islands need attention.  Island #4 needs a spur installed because there is only 1 head covering the whole front.  Two meters need repair in order to be certified.  Another needs a new head.  Bob E. proposed that we bring in Rainy Dave’s Sprinkler Service to do the repairs.  We agreed.

 

Dues Reminder Letter:  Tenley will revise the letter we used last year.  We will send it out after our next meeting.  

 

Next Meeting:  Thursday, August 10th at 7 p.m. at Diane’s house.

 

 

Attachment:  Quote from Saxton’s Landscaping

Minutes prepared by Diane Tsaprazis

 

Comments